Tuesday, January 13, 2009

There isn't a large truck coming at you, that I know of....

My sister Brenda posted a short video clip today on her facebook page of the Penn and Teller dude (the one w/ the long stringy hair who talks). The gist of it...he's an atheist. A man, gave him a bible. The man was kind! And...therefore - the bible and it's act of being given in kindness to him (Stringy hair dude) was an act of worthy of him (again greasy hair dude) making a short video. Basically - what he said was.... If you ARE a Christian, and you believe without a shadow of a doubt that you have the key to eternal life...then why aren't you speaking about it! YET, this stringy hair dude also admits to being put off by the "preachy" of us (Christians) in the past.

Today I was waiting in the lobby of our local magnet school to take a tour of the facility. While waiting, I ran into a mommy who has a daughter at a preschool we used to send Duncan too. Small world, she knows an old neighbor of mine from Santa Clarita. Turns out our old neighbor couldn't say enough kind things about Ron and I from when we were their neighbors. We were fun, made the neighborhood more family like (we didn't even have kids yet!). BUT....Did they know we were Christian's? I don't think so.

Yesterday, I was sitting in the food court at the mall eating lunch w/ D. A lady, sitting across from me at a totally different table - struck up a conversation with us. After a bit, she grabbed her lunch and books (she was studying) and joined us...all at her own doing. I didn't invite her. But, we talked for just a few moments and ended up speaking about Duncan. Turns out she is going to school where Duncan was going to pre-school. She asked why I moved him, I told her, and I also, without much hesitation also noted that his new preschool offers lessons that are Bible based. She said, that's nice. I agreed and also added that in addition to nice, it was important to me because I was a Christian. She said she was also a Christian and struggled with speaking out in her class room in college when debates on there being a God came up. She was not sure she knew all the right ways to defend or support her arguments against her class mates. BUT, she was speaking up and was taking the risk.

Without really knowing why...I said, perhaps it isn't what your telling them, but rather the fact that you ARE telling them something...you are stating your faith. Willing to take some heat, some flack. Maybe one of those people in your class room will be diagnosed with cancer some day, and question their stance as an atheist. And you... (her, mall lunch lady) speaking out and your willingness to do so will be the leap of faith that person needs to become a Christian. She pondered that, and felt it had merit.

Duncan was chanting I WANT TO GO I WANT TO GO I WANT TO GO....so my moments with this stranger were over. The conversation ruminated in my mind a few more times that afternoon. But...when watching the stringy hair dude talk today on the Facebook posting...it all fit.

I can't lament that someone I lived next to for two years may or may not know I am a Christian.
I can insure that as each moment presents itself - that I take the leaps of faith NOW to let people know - I am a Christian. I do have eternal life! WHICH ROCKS!!!!!!!! Big shout out to J.C. for that one! And, I hope hope hope I can continue to find ways to let others know that...
But most importantly - that I allow Jesus the presence in my life to work when and where he see's fit.

Have a good evening everyone. Julie

3 comments:

  1. I am returning to being a Christian - after a 20 year search for something else. I struggle with my doubts and want answers. I am reading a book called "The Reason for God" by Tim Keller and finding some good, well thought through, logical answers that make (more) sense to me. I would recommend it to others (like your new friend wondering how to answer challenges or add to a discussion at college). Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know... I went to Azusa Pacific U for both undergrad and graduate. (I have essentially enough theology classes for a minor.)

    I once heard a very respected speaker say something to the affect of: Being the person you are, how you treat people, your everyday life is a testiment to God. People will see God in you just in how you are with them. Even if you don't have a Christian symbol on your car or tell them... You don't shame your Christianity just because you don't announce it.

    I found alot of comfort in that- we were all raised with the idea that if we didn't shout it out we were 'luke warm' Christians who were going to be spit from God's mouth....

    Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI- The "lois webster" is Donna Plourd! Dang account keeps posting my partners name for my blog!!

    The APU comment was a segway into the idea I heard ALOT of speakers while I was APU!

    ReplyDelete