Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hey ain't heavy - he's my son

So, this morning...sitting with a sippy cup of ovaltine and a starbucks frappucino, Barack H. Obama was doing his whole swearing in thing...I don't make light of this... by stating it this way, I attempt to try and pull you into my world for just a moment
As a mother to an African American Child, but not being African American myself.
As a witness to this momentous occasion - but not being a Democrat.
As a mommy to a boy asking if "his mommy was there" (meaning...was he adopted).
As a woman amazed at how many emotions we can process and still wipe goop outta sleepy eyes, and brush teeth at the same time.
As a US Citizen so freakin amazed and proud of her country.
As a girl, with goose bumps, knowing things are changing and feeling - for the better and so excited...wanting to share it.
As a business owner, barely making the wages and hoping no reductions are required.

So...there I am, all of those things. In a moment, feeling all of those things, but soooo acutely aware of my precious son Duncan watching the screen. Giving him tidbits...Barack's mommy is a lady who looks alot like mommy (me) and his daddy was African American.
"Do those soldiers really get to shoot those guns mommy" ummmmmm no...well, yes.... but only if they need to. UGH! Aretha...keep singing girl. Duncan enjoys it. He's dancing. GO girl.

wow... So, when I turned on the Inauguration stuff to record it, I really expected to just record it then watch it tonight. But, Duncan was drawn to it...the soldiers, Aretha singing, the soldiers.... then it lead to dialog - our very first ever dialog about his race.

I read and read the adoption books and magazines, and know the cues will come from Duncan.
But today...the cues, I think were beyond all of our control. This day, this event was larger than life...yet it is our life.

but, with my precious son sleeping upstairs, I think for me the transition didn't just occur in the oval office today...it occurred in my home. We (Duncan and I) had our first of (i hope!) many conversations about his entire story. Our story!

That's it! I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment