Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mommies want to just have a lunch where we can leave the knives on the table every once in awhile.

Ok...first and foremost props to my friend Terry Leddy for the title of this blog.

I returned just hours ago from my church's (Moorpark Presbyterian) annual ladies retreat.
And, I, will state a naughty confession ;-) My sister (she will remain nameless to protect her) and I left early. YES we ditched!

As two girls who went to a Christian High School and never ditched a day of school, this was kinda a big deal. We aren't Catholics, but we dealt w/ the ditch in some Catholic guilt kinda ways, but then after a few moments of processing... we "got over it"...and by "got over it" I mean - we were given another dose of God's grace. He "got over it" for us. He reminded us that sometimes a retreat isn't just the meetings...

It's sitting by the creek listening to the frogs sipping a glass of wine w/ your sissy.

It's looking up into the night sky and being amazed at the vast beauty that rests above our heads every single evening...and when we find time to glance at it...it's there...just waiting.

It's stopping for lunch in Santa Barbara at a restaurant named after your Grandma (Opal's on State Street) and having a Thai infused salmon that reminds you of another Thai infused meal you had years before on Kauai, and realizing how blessed we are as sisters to have shared so many lovely meals.

It's taking a nap!

It's taking a shower...uninterrupted by Thomas the train chugging by the shower doors or hearing the theme from the Magic School bus blaring in the back ground while you rinse the cream rinse and clean the nether regions at the same time.

It's having a friend (enter Terry Leddy into the story) pal around with you and your sister. Learning about her life, her kids, her live in Mommy, her first date....and then hearing it...

"I'm just happy to be able to go somewhere for lunch where I can leave the knives on the table "(Terry has a 2 year old and a 5 year old). Brenda and I immediately GOT IT.

We knew exactly( I MEAN EXACTLY) what she meant. Sometimes, it's not about what you intended to set out to do, but rather what you need to do. Have a meal, leave the knives on the table and visit. God grace....

Eventually we did just that. We found a place in Solvang (The Chef's Touch, http://www.thechefstouch.com/) and had an amazing meal. And guess what...they had Thai Squash soup. AMAZING, delicious, fabulous!!! Please go to the place if you go to Solvang!! . We all ordered a sandwich, we all shared our sandwich's with each other. We all had a fabulous glass of wine with our meal. We all visited and learned more about each other. NEVER not even once did we have to help fill in a crayon word search, pick up a toy, wipe a nose or demand a chicken nugget be consumed. In essence...we left all the knives on the table.

So..as we drove home from the retreat, early... having "gotten over it" and thankful for Gods grace, love, and freedom....we stopped at (here is naughty confession #2) Bacara

And that is a whole separate blog!!!!!

I'm out. Julie

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Theresa would ditch a church retreat like that!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete