Sunday, February 8, 2009

What do Robert Wagner and Faye Darbison have in common?



Last night, In Camarillo there was a party.
A big ol' Hampton Inn festive thing. Oh yea...that's how we roll ;-)

It was a party to celebrate my Aunt Fayes 70th Birthday.

I had spent the major portion of my day at the Theatre on High Street helping out with a Book event for the "Movie and TV STAR" Robert Wagner. 200 people showed up to hear him speak, take Q and A, and then sign his book. Folks paid 25.00 a book, were in awe and to Roberts credit - he signed every last book, endured all of the request for pictures and heard all the silly stories... "my birthday is the same date as yours" " I met Natalie Wood at the Bel Air country club in 1970..." (yea...a little more salt for that wound Robert?) etc... He was a Star, and from the bit of time I had w/ him a gentleman.

Then, I am whisked away by my stars (Ron and D) to Aunt Fayes party. I walk in the room, and to a Darbison/Duncan gal...it is kinda like walking on the red carpet .... Look - there's Diane from Colorado who flew in for the event. Oh...there's Kenny from Redding who drove down, and Deborah from Paso Robles, and Dan & Kim and their studly mc stud son (my adorable 2nd cousin) Scott who flew in from Oklahoma, and Mike and Jenny who drove in from Phoenix, and ....well you get the gist - people moved and made things happen to get to Aunt Fayes party.

BUT WHY?

Then, it is clear why...
She is a movie star of epic proportions for my family. An unwavering tower of humility, class, and LOVE. All three of her children stand and speak words of such true love and adoration that I can not hold my tears. These are my cousins, pouring out such words of love and friendship for their Mommy. My Aunt Faye. And, as I cry - I think.... Robert Wagner ain't got nothing on my family.

I don't need the red carpets, fame, and fortune. I have it! I have role models, I WANT my Son to stand someday and speak these types of words about me. But...how does that happen? It happens on a boat - fishing w/ your son's. It happens in the middle of floods and wild fires engulfing Santa Paula being a rock for your kids. It happens in Laughlin on your hotel bed...reliving the loses of the night.

It happened this evening, a 4 year old that took a nap today, cause Ronnie and Mommy needed some down time, so said 4 year old just isn't sleepy at 7pm, or 8pm or 9pm or UGH 10pm ... So... I told him stories, I read him books, I made him ANOTHER warm milk and ovaltine. I was and I am tired....but, I have a goal, I have a desire. It's clear and it has a name... Aunt Faye.

I would be honored to someday be in her league. For now...I will take the memories and love from last nights celebration and keep burning that feeling of admiration to my heart. I know I will need to call upon it the next time Duncan insists he can make a saddle for the dog...and Mom... don't worry, it will be safe. It won't hurt the dog...riiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!

Good night! D's finally asleep so I'm gonna hit the hay.

2 comments:

  1. Aunt Faye really has set the bar high, we are really lucky to have an example like her to look up to

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister! And Sarah -- your momma ain't no slouch either!! Love you gals.

    ReplyDelete